Whether you own a home or a business, water damage can disrupt your schedule, your budget, the function of your property, and your peace of mind. What steps can you take to prevent water damage from wreaking havoc? Understanding the common culprits of water damage can help prevent both its causes and effects. Be aware of these common damage sources that can lead to anything from minor damage to devastating repercussions:
- Heavy snow and melting snow
- Heavy rain
- Leaky dishwashers
- Clogged toilets
- Broken pipes
- Broken dishwasher hoses
- Overflowing washing machines
- Leaky roofs
- Plumbing leaks
- Foundation cracks
Although many people think of water damage restoration as the immediate rush of drain buckets, mopping up, and shutting off pipes, the effects of water damage don’t stop after the visible chaos is gone. There are many reasons why professional restoration is needed to help avoid additional problems and costs down the road:
- Property loss: Untreated water damage doesn’t just impact the structure of your building, but can also destroy upholstery, electronics, appliances, plumbing, priceless personal heirlooms and keepsakes, invaluable business records, and much more.
- Health risks: Any water damage left untreated can very easily lead to mold and fungi growth. Natural flood water can also carry hazardous contaminants like bacteria, toxic waste, chemical pollutants, and sewage. If not properly treated, these dangers can linger even after the water is dry.
- Mold and fungi: Lack of an adequate cleanup process creates an inviting territory for mold and fungi spores, which spread and develop quickly. Mold and fungi growth not only lead to more costly damages but also puts your family or customers at risk of potential health problems.
- Weak structure: Through both mold growth and water absorption, water damage also causes weak floors and walls, posing a serious safety risk in addition to health concerns.
- Insects: Mold and fungus won’t be the only thing growing in the wake of untreated water damage. Stagnant water and even water that has been left untreated to dry into the structure of your property both create an ideal habitat for insects to lay eggs. Mold grows in similar conditions and emits an odor that further attracts insects.
- Compromised electrical system: Any electrical wiring or fuse box that has been exposed to water poses a major safety hazard and should always be inspected by professionals before attempting to use.
- Home value depreciation: Real estate appraisals can detect past untreated water damage and will decrease the value of your home and the chances of selling.
- Lingering odors: Whether it’s in a home, a workplace, or a business, no one likes those musty, rotting smells.
When you call a professional water damage restoration service, you can ensure that your bases are covered from inspection to drying, to completely cleaned up.
At Fresh Start Carpet Cleaning, we stay with you every step of the way through the restoration process so that water damage feels like it never happened. Click here for a FREE quote or call our 24/7 emergency response team at (609) 505-1624.